Tuesday, February 10

So, last weekend Michael and I went out to eat at probably the fanciest restaurant in town. Now, I know that we live in the middle of the Midwest, but still. It was a fancy place. Hubs wore a black button down, and a suit coat and jeans. Very cute. Very hipster. I worn a fine gauge v neck sweater, a dark grey denim pencil skirt and black boots. And we were by far the A) youngest couple there and B) The almost best dressed. (And older gentleman was wearing a tie)
So. What can't people dress up any more? I mean, I saw middle aged women in fleece shirts. You know the kind you get at old navy for 5 bucks. I mean, we walked out of there with almost a 100 dollar bill. And I only had 1 glass of wine. And the food was AWESOME! But yet, I felt weird because I felt overdressed.
Is it because I live in the middle of the middle west? I've been to funerals where people wear jean cutoffs and the ratty old t-shirt you won from the MN state lotto. You know, stuff you'd garden in. I've talked with professors in college who have had to have classes to teach kids what is appropriate to wear to a job interview. That short skirt and hoochie mama shirt that shows off your boobies? Not appropriate.
What's happened to this world that people don't dress nice for 'special' occasions anymore? Am I the only one wishing that people still dressed for dinner?

4 comments:

Sarah Kalkbrenner said...

no you aren't. I definitely miss that too. I love the old movies where everyone dressed for dinner.
Let's start a new trend shall we?

Chris Mellang said...

I'm dying to know what the fanciest restraunt in town is? Did you stay local or did you travel down to the Twin Cities?

Valkryie Knit This said...

Local.

http://www.mifamiglia.com/

Mi Famiglia Italian Ristorante.

SO. GOOD. I wish I was eating it right now. :)

Valkryie Knit This said...

Kalkette- Totally. It's long gloves to dinner from now on. :)